Pumpkin Jellyroll Cake
with Ginger Mascarpone Filling
A simple cake with classic fall flavors, creamy whipped mascarpone filling, and a stunning design - it's one of our longtime favorites and has made many appearances at our Halloween tailgates and Thanksgiving tables!
Add a local touch to yours by using local flour, eggs, and cream - you can even roast your own locally-grown pumpkins or winter squash for the pumpkin puree!
Make the recipe and tag us on Facebook and Instagram @utahsown
(For easy printing)
For the cake:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup canned pumpkin (not pie filling)
1/4 cup powdered sugar, plus extra for dusting
For the filling:
12 oz mascarpone cheese
1 1/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
2 Tbs heavy cream
1/4 cup minced dried crystallized ginger (not in syrup)
Pinch kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 13 by 18 by 1-inch sheet pan and line with greased and floured parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt; stir to combine. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs and sugar beat on medium-high speed for 3 minutes, until light yellow and thickened. Turn mixer to low, add the pumpkin, and slowly add the flour mixture, mixing just until incorporated. Pour and spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake for 10 to 12 minutes, cake will be done when the top springs back when gently touched.
- While the cake is baking, lay out a clean, thin cotton dish towel and sift 1/4 cup of powdered sugar evenly over it. (This will prevent the cake from sticking to the towel.) As soon as the cake is removed from the oven, loosen it around the edges and invert it onto the prepared towel. Peel away the parchment paper and roll the warm cake and the towel together starting at the short end of the cake. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- As the cake cools, prepare the filling: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the mascarpone, powdered sugar, and cream together for about a minute, until light and fluffy. Stir in the crystallized ginger, and salt.
- To assemble, unroll the cake and evenly spread with the filling. Reroll the cake into a spiral and trim the ends to make a neat edge. Dust with powdered sugar and serve sliced.